Monday, November 05, 2012

Crusty Homemade Bread

Yum, yum!!












I came upon this recipe on Pinterest but have altered it a bit in my attempt to recreate the wonderful bread served during all meals at the Glenuig Inn in Scotland. This Inn is one that my friend Camille and I visited on our recent kayaking adventure in Scotland. 

The bread at Glenuig Inn is actually made with Organic Malt House Bread Flour, which is not obtainable in the U.S.  Or if it is, I haven't found a source yet but will continue to search.  And I cannot find any vendor in the UK who will ship it!

In the interim, I substituted a mixture called Granary Flour.  To make this, I combined 2 cups King Arthur unbleached white whole wheat flour, 6 ounces King Arthur bread flour, and  6 ounces King Arthur cracked wheat. 

Then, I used this blend in the following recipe:

2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup Granary Flour
1 3/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and yeast with whisk until thoroughly combined.  Add water stirring until you achieve the delightful "shaggy mess" look. 

Cover with Press 'n Seal wrap and place on countertop for 12-18 hours to proof the dough.  Do not refrigerate!


When the time is up, preheat the oven to 450 degrees.  When the oven is preheated, place your cast iron baking pot (with lid) in the oven to preheat.  You can use a Le Creuset or cast iron Dutch oven.  I''m using a cast iron Dutch oven.

Dump the dough onto a well floured surface.  Shape into a round ball.  Cover with the Press 'n Seal and let rest 30 minutes while the pan is heating.  Once heated, place the ball of dough in the pan, cover with the lid, and place in the hot oven.  Bake for 30 minutes.  Remove lid and bake another 15 minutes.  Remove from oven when done, and remove from pan.  Place on wire rack to cool.

This is very close to that served at Glenuig Inn.  But I thought I'd try another loaf.  This time I simply used 3 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour, adding 1/4 cup cracked wheat and 1/2 teaspoon Organic Barley Malt, the salt, yeast and water.  Perfect!  I believe this is the closest I will get and it is very delicious!


3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 King Arthur cracked wheat
1 3/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1/2 teaspoon Organic Barley Malt
1 1/2-3/4 cups water (add enough to make the dough a shaggy mess!)


You can add flavorings to the dough before the proofing step - ie Rosemary, Lemon and Gruyere, Garlic and Parmesan Cheese, Cranberry Orange and Almond, Cheddar and Bacon, Chocolate Chip and Walnut, etc.  Or toppers like King Arthur's Artisan Bread Topper or their Everything Bread and Bagel Topping.  Or add other whole grains to the dough.  The possibilities are endless.  Just use your imagination.  I do not think this recipe will disappoint!


The shaggy mess!

The ball of dough resting.

Into the cast iron dutch oven, remember the lid!

Fresh from the oven!

Cooling on a wire rack.


Pin It

No comments: