Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Another Successful Day Lure Coursing

And by successful, I mean that there were no injuries. Unfortunately that is always in the back of one's head when you slip your dog and they tear off going what, like 45 miles per hour, chasing the plastic bunnies. But it's the risk you take to be able to see your dog enjoy something so much. Even more so than the marrow bones if you can believe that!

We coursed on Sunday, March 16th, because we were suppose to be in the St. Patrick's Day parade on Saturday, March 15th however due to the tornados that hit downtown Atlanta Friday night, the parade was cancelled. Bummer, for sure! My girls were all ready, outfits all prepped, and I had made a gazillion peanut butter cookies in the shape of shamrocks for the Greyhounds participating in the parade. Not to worry, they aren't going to waste!

Back to coursing . . . there were only three Open dogs that day and Lucy came in first again! She ran the course so fast, it was unbelievable. The morning preliminary run was good, however, she slipped and tumbled. I think she just lost her footing. She immediately sprang up and sighted the lure and continued on as if nothing had happened. During the fall she apparently broke the elastic neck binding to her coursing blanket. As she was coming in "for the landing" as I call it, it appeared she had no blanket on at all. In fact she did still have it attached to her waist. It was flapping in the breeze behind her and honestly, once she stopped running, it looked like a skirt. Absolutely too funny. She must have impressed the judges with her running style, skirt and all, because they scored her the highest of the three Open runs that morning.

The afternoon run was just as spectacular but thank God, no mishaps occurred. She scored the highest then as well and combined, of course, put her in First place for the day. I believe her final combined score was 310. She was eligible to run for Best in Breed against the Parker's dog Cole, but John and I decided to flip a coin instead, thus sparing the two dogs from having to run the course again. John won the toss so Cole was awarded the Best in Breed ribbon. I should have run Lucy as she certainly could have done it and could have beat Cole but then the course was so horrible for Greyhounds that I was thankful the day was over! By the way, her final score of 310 was about 6 points higher than any of the final scores of the two Field Champion dogs, including that of Cole. That Lucy is phenomenal! And fast - it scares the bageebies out of me!

Here is a shot of Lucy later that evening. Now tell me, is that a tired pup? Looking at the head shot I'd almost think it looks like my dear Lucy needs braces on her teeth! Naw, we won't go there. Been there done that myself and it ain't fun!

Here is a shot of Savannah, my Ragdoll kitty. She is also SEGA's official cat tester. Now, how official does she look? I love that cat. I've always referred to her as my "cat dog" because she is so "dog-like" in her mannerisms. I can call her and she'll come running. Seriously. She so badly wants to go out to potty with the Greyhounds but we all know that "Greyhounds plus kitty in the big outdoors" do not mix well. It definitely wouldn't be a pretty sight. So, she just lives out her "dog wanna be" fairytale life inside the house with her three Greyhounds whom she adores. And they adore her!

And lastly, here is a head shot of Lucy. She looks as if she is posing. See, she can do Meet and Greets, do Pet Therapy, Lure Course with the best of them, and even Model. Very versatile! Ha!

All of these pictures were taken with my new Canon Rebel XTi EOS Digital SLR Camera (10.1 MP). Wow, that's a mouthful to say! I'm quite pleased with the camera thus far but I certainly have alot to learn about it. This isn't quite like the point and shoot Kodak I've been using!

I think a photography class is in my future!

Pin It

No comments: