Monday, July 04, 2011

Yummy Chocolate Cookies

I have been searching high and low for a recipe for a chocolate cookie topped with pecans that might match that magical chewy pecan cookie my Mom used to buy for us at the local Winn-Dixie bakery. I think I've come close in this one, but it's still not quite the same. I don't think the cookie at the WD was as chocolatey as it was pecan flavored. And, my Mom isn't here to help me scrutinize the recipe. I'm sure she would know exactly what is missing!! This one is a good one though, however, I will continue my search until I find the right one!

The first batch I used my cookie press to make the cute flower cookies you see above. The second time, I pressed the dough into a large cookie sheet, pressed chopped pecans into the top, then baked and cut into squares.

The dough is quite versatile so lends itself to whichever form you desire the end result to be!! Just have fun with it! They will be delicious!!

Rolled Chocolate Cookies

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

In a standing electric mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until fluffy. Beat in the egg. Sift the flour, cocoa and salt into the bowl and beat at low speed until the dough comes together, 2 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 2 or 3 times. Flatten into 2 disks, wrap in plastic and chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350°. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Roll out each disk of dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to a scant 1/4-inch thickness. Using a floured 1 3/4-inch round cookie cutter, stamp out as many rounds as possible; transfer to the baking sheets. Gather the scraps, reroll and stamp out as many cookies as possible. Bake the cookies for about 20 minutes, until puffed and set, shifting the baking sheets for even baking. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets.

Pin It

No comments: