Tuesday, December 03, 2013

The Most Perfect Biscuit!


Well, this morning I was thinking about what to make for breakfast.  I have become bored with my usual eggs, wheat toast and bacon.  So, I had some buttermilk in the fridge left over from something I made for Thanksgiving so I thought, why not make some buttermilk biscuits?  What else do you use buttermilk for anyway I ask?  So, I decided that is what I would do.  But alas, I didn't have any stick butter.  But I did have some lard in the cupboard from the tortillas I had made a few weeks back.  And well, didn't they always use lard to make biscuits "back in the day"?  What harm could it do I asked?  Lard can't be that much worse for you than butter, right? 

It does have more calories and more fat but considerably less saturated fat which I thought was always the worst for you.  Here are some stats that will interest you:



For the full nutritional breakdown, please visit this link.

So, back to the biscuits.  I did make my usual buttermilk biscuits substituting lard for the butter.  But, oh my, what a delicious beautiful biscuit!  Now I see why lard is used and I can guarantee that the fast food places serving biscuits are using lard as well because butter is much more expensive. And, oh, how delicious these are!



Yields: 18 Servings    posted as 190391
Ingredients
4 cups all-purpose flour (White Lily or cake flour)
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (or lard)
2 cups buttermilk 


 
Instructions
Heat oven to 500°. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. With a pastry cutter or two knives, cut butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Pour in buttermilk, and gently mix until just combined. With your hands, gently form the mixture into balls. Place in a round 8-by-2-inch cake pan.

Bake until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Allow to cool to the touch, and serve immediately.
 


Isn't that just beautiful?

Pin It

No comments: