Sunday, May 17, 2009

Alarms That Are Alarming!

Saturday morning was a rude awakening. You see, we were awakened by the sound of my house alarm going off at 5 a.m., nonetheless. At first it began as a "tweet" so I thought perhaps the fire alarm needed it's batteries replaced. Before I knew it, the alarm was blaring us out of the house. And, as fate would have it, it was the FIRE alarm going off.

I smelled and smelled and didn't smell anything burning. I called the alarm company (they didn't call me which is really QUITE alarming) to tell them I thought I was having problems with the fire alarm. She asked if I wanted to dispatch the fire truck and I said "no, there isn't a fire". Of course, I would have died had there really been a fire and I had just called off the forces!! But alas, that wasn't the case, thank God!

I hung up with the alarm company operator who then had a technician call me because by that time, it certainly appeared to be a malfunction of some sort. During this whole ordeal, I had to put all the dogs outside because the alarm sound was driving them crazy! It really is pretty loud, piercing to the ear loud!!

So the technician calls me and we then commence to diagnosing the problem. We look at the main control box which is in a closet and it was then that I felt water drip on my arm - coming from somewhere. I retrieved a flashlight and looked at the ceiling in the closet and couldn't see anything dripping in there anywhere. Then, it dripped again. I looked up and lo and behold, there was a case of canned juice up on a top shelf in the closet. I grabbed the case and, yes, the end was wet. Apparently one of the cans was leaking and it was leaking directly on the control box which then caused the system to go crazy.

This whole time the fire alarm was still going off. By then, I could hardly tell you my first name as the alarm is SO loud you can't even think straight.

The technician then walked me through the steps to disarm the system which I did. He suggested I wait a bit and attempt to redo the connections and see if the system resets itself. I am about to do that so wish me luck! I hope it works!!

What a weekend!! Pin It

2 comments:

Poolie said...

And I thought you were going to tell us about the huge hole in your roof... so I guess it could have been worse, if that's possible with sirens screaming in your ears. So did the girls think you had totally lost it?

Patti said...

Yes, the huge hole in the ceiling actually did happen to Kim L. once so I was petrified to open that closet door!! Thank goodness it was a very minor and fixable problem. Yes, the girls were wondering why they couldn't come inside.