I recommend you try it. Don't be afraid of the puff pastry like I was, it's amazing how it bakes and truly "puffs" around the chicken roll.
This dish will also surely impress your next dinner guests and without all the usual effort! It's definitely a keeper!
From Kayotic Kitchen - she has some great pics of each step as well!
4 chicken filets
4 frozen puff pastry sheets
4 oz cream cheese (the firm kind)
few rashes of bacon
1 spring onion
1 large egg
- Cook up your bacon (I used pre-cooked to save some time).
- Chop up spring onion and parsley.
- Add the spring onions, parsley, crumbled up bacon and a good pinch of pepper to 4 oz firm cream cheese.
- Mix it all up. Adding a little garlic, chili pepper and/or grated cheese also tastes great!
- Make a fairly deep cut in each chicken fillet. And spread 1/4 of the cream mixture in there.
- Place the chicken on top of the puff pastry, with the cream cheese side down. Season the chicken with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Beat a large egg, and brush a little on the edges of the puff pastry.
- Just fold them until you end up with small packages. The egg will function as a glue. Lightly brush the top of the puff pastry with the egg as well.
- Pop them in a preheated oven, and bake at 400F (200C) for 30 to 35 minutes.