Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Meet Fred . . .

My sourdough starter. I had named him Stinky but I thought that so disrespectful so I renamed him Fred. Here is Fred in all his glory. Isn't he lovely?

Fred and I have had a most unusual relationship during the last week. He usually just sits around doing absolutely nothing while I hand feed him every night. Typical, wouldn't you say? Ah, to be Fred! :)

So, today is the day I will first get a chance to use Fred. I've decided to try making Sourdough English Muffins. First step is to mix some of Fred with some flour and water and let them co-mingle for about 12 hours. This is what that looks like. Actually in the sourdough world, this is called making a "sponge". After this is complete, you then add additional ingredients that really make the item you're making whether that's bread, rolls, pancakes, English Muffins, or whatever.

Anything with sourdough starter takes time - this I have learned today. I started this morning at 6 a.m. and finished around 7:30 p.m. I wasn't involved in doing anything with Fred this entire time, mind you, but you have steps you have to do and time you have to wait. So, after a 12 hour wait, I added the appropriate ingredients for my English Muffins and then rolled out the dough, cut it into English Muffin sized rounds and waited for it to rise another 45 minutes.

Then it was time to pan fry the little critters. Yes, English Muffins are pan fried. This took no time at all, once the skillet was hot.

Here, my friends, is the end result. Don't those look just wonderful? I can't wait to have one for breakfast in the morning. I'll be sure to let you know how delicious they are!!

I can't think of a better way to honor our Veteran's on this wonderful Veteran's Day. (I know, there is no correlation - but I tried!!)
Pin It

7 comments:

Maria Peters said...

Fred looks absolutely delicious mixed with his friends. Please email me one!!!!

Chris said...

Patti, Fred told me you only take him out when you "knead" him, and that is only every other week.

Addie said...

Patti, your muffins look delicious. I haven't had sourdough "anything" in a long time, and now I've got a craving! I wish I had your patience. Oh, and I wish I could cook!

Addie

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

So with all this talk about food, when is the Bloggers' dinner party? I want to make sure I get it on my calendar. :-)

Jen

Patti said...

Maria, the English Muffin I had for breakfast this morning was heavenly. Most delicious! Tomorrow morning I'm going to try one with some jam!!

Chris, too funny. Fred seems happy though!

Addie, just try it. It's fun and your menfolk will thank you afterwards!

Jen, I'm a "foodie" at heart. A dinner party sounds like fun!

Zan said...

Patti, your muffins look so good I can practically smell them through the computer. You're a woman of many talents!

Heather said...

that is impressive. send one my way! i like the name fred. i had a fish named fred once.