Tuesday, January 06, 2009

The Drugs

I just have to post this as it sort of astonished me a bit. As you know, I have been taking Percocet for the pain from the foot surgery which is diminishing daily, thank goodness. Yesterday I didn't take anything but aspirin and today I've had some aspirin, as well.

But, over the weekend I needed something and didn't want to take the Percocet (it makes me so so sleepy) so I looked at the bottle of pain pills I had left over from the finger surgery I had, oh what was it, like four months ago or something like that? I didn't take them all and had just kept the bottle for whatever reason. So, I looked at it and looked at the name on the bottle. It is a generic name so I didn't recognize it. I looked it up on the Internet and lo and behold, I have Vicadin. I guess that is a lesson in and unto itself - always look up your medications BEFORE you take them. There is nothing wrong with Vicadin, mind you, but it would have been nice to know that that is what it was before I took any! Who knew? Of course Vicadin is a Schedule III narcotic. According to Wikipedia, "Schedule III drugs are classified by the U.S. government as potentially causing moderate or low physical dependence or a high psychological dependence if abused. There is a high inclination for abuse of this drug."

And then we have the Percocet. Wikipedia states, "Oxycodone is a Schedule II controlled substance, i.e. it must be given by written prescription which cannot have refills, nor can it be called in to a pharmacy by a physician."

The astonishing part to me is that these doctors so freely dispense these type of painkillers but I honestly don't know if there are better alternatives. I would assume if there were, then they would have prescribed that instead, knowing the dependency factor of Vicadin and Percocet.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful to have had the pain relief. (And yes, they are totally out of reach of the Greyhounds or anyone else for that matter!)

Actually, it seems I'm on a roll here so I'm contemplating what type of surgery I can schedule next. Wonder what that doc would prescribe? Just kidding!!!! I'm done! Pin It

1 comment:

Addie said...

Wow...the fact that you've been able to get by with aspiring for the last two days is HUGE news, especially since they've had you on some pretty hard stuff. :-)

Glad you're feeling better, and not planning on any more surgeries!

Addie