Thursday, October 09, 2008

Greyfest is Over!

Finally Greyfest has come and gone . . . just like that! After months of preparation, it's over. I know that sounds as if I miss it but truly, I am happy it's done because it can be all too consuming of one's time and efforts. I feel as if I can breathe now.

I'm not sure of the final tally of dollars raised for SEGA but it should be close to $5,000, I think, which is less than last year's tally which was closer to $8,000. We had about 30 fewer folks this year but you know, as bad as the economy is and with the gas shortage the week before and the week of Greyfest, I'm actually quite pleased with the turnout.

But seeing as how I get bored with things so quickly and was at that point with Greyfest, I am glad it's over. Now it's on to bigger and better things.

The next project on my agenda is the 3rd Annual ASFA National Greyhound Specialty, which is October 25th. I am trophy chairman, webmaster, banquet coordinator, etc. - you get the idea. I try to help John as much as I can as it does take quite a few hands to pull off an event of this magnitude. We're hoping for a big entry of 30-40 Greyhounds but here again, you never really know until the last minute just who is entered. But I do know we have folks coming from California, Texas, Washington, and Illinois.

With all that being said, it should be a fun weekend at Bear Creek Farm in Moreland. (I must remember to fill the Bubba Keg with margaritas!) Come join us, if only to watch the spectacular show of Greyhounds running at breakneck speeds as they maneuver the course. It truly will take your breath away.

My Lucy will be running in the Open stake. She has 93 points, only 7 short of obtaining her Field Championship title. I am hoping she will get those 7 points on Saturday so that we could move up to the Field Championship stake so she can "run with the big dogs".

Then after that event, it's the Callaway Gardens Steeplechase on November 1st. This is always fun and isn't anything that requires my involvement except to be there, eat wonderful appetizers, drink some good wine and chat with interested folks about Greyhound adoption. Oh yea, and watching the Steeplechase. :) Forgot about that! Yes, we bring the Greyhounds, too. Remi just adores horses and I think she wants to run with them everytime they fly past us! It's funny to watch.

After that, we have SEGC's Holiday Dinner on December 6th. This one I do coordinate but it's not that much work. Heck, after Greyfest, everything else I do is a breeze!! Pin It

3 comments:

Never Say Never Greyhounds said...

Greyfest was wonderful. Great job!

Jen

Chris said...

Thanks, Patti, for all your hard work. I wished I could have been there, but the first weekend of Oct. is always full. I really hope to be at the ASFA trial and be able to mingle with the crew.

Addie said...

We had such a great time at Greyfest, and I know it must be a huge relief to have it behind you! Thanks for all your hard work.

Addie